A project & technique workshop suitable for all skill levels - 2 days
Australia’s national gemstone the opal captures the imagination with mysterious depths of colour. Using oil sticks, Angelina fibres & appliqué you will be guided in the creation of your unique gemstones. This is your chance to make a small quilt featuring this colourful stone which has been used by Sue in a number of her quilts. “OPALS” was featured in Australian Patchwork & Quilting magazine Vol 13 No 5.
Also see: Opal Fever Student Gallery.
Materials fee per person applies for use of oil sticks & angelina
Download Opal Fever Requirements List (59 KB pdf)
Please note- Photographs above are of the two workshop quilts Opal Fever #2 & Opal Necklace. While both patterns are supplied, you will select one to stitch in class.
Both quilts finished size approximately 53cm W x 64cm L [21ins W x 25ins L]
FABRIC & EQUIPMENT
- From 1m dark motley fabric, cut your background piece- 56cm x 67cm [22ins x 26ins] the leftover piece will be used for the binding.
- For the opals- 2 or 3 fat quarters multicoloured batik in warm colour way & 2 or 3 fat quarters multicoloured batik cool colours. Colourful fabric without a definite pattern works best.
- 1m for backing & rod pocket.
- Wadding [I prefer thin wadding] cut approximately the same size as background fabric.
- A small 15cm [6in] square practise quilt sandwich of fabric used in your quilt.
- 50 cm fusible web.
- Digital camera or spyglass [door peep hole- available hardware shops] if you have either.
- Small roll of greaseproof paper [non-waxed lunch wrap], 3 sheets of A4 size computer copy paper for templates, notebook, pen & glue stick.
- Appliqué mat or Glad bake [non-stick baking paper] disposable gloves for keeping hands clean when using oil sticks, wet wipes for hands, newspaper.
- Cutting mat, rotary cutter & 24in quilt ruler, pins, scissors for paper & fabric.
- Quilting gloves if you use them.
- Quilt basting spray & mask- disposable OK. If allergic to spray- pin baste.
- Chalk marker or soap sliver.
- Iron & board.
- Nametag & coffee mug
SEWING MACHINE & extension table, bobbins & machine quilting needle. Rayon or cotton thread to blend with your fabric or a shade darker. Your preferred bobbin thread for appliqué & quilting
Metafil needle- only if you are using metallic thread.
MACHINE FEET- Zigzag foot, walking foot & darning foot for free motion work